Monday, March 10, 2008

Graduation Dreams




There is a photograph on my desk of my younger son at graduation. It is somewhat of a closeup, shot from a side angle. My husband had walked onto the field, under the grandstand where the seniors sat in caps and gowns. Our son was several seats away from my husband's vantage point. The beautiful thing about this portrait is the way in which my husband captures the moment so exquisitely. Everyone in the photo is staring straight ahead towards a speaker on an unseen podium. The viewer sees only their profiles. But my son is caught looking at the camera. There are bubbles in the photo floating around him like so many dreams. I love this photo so much. It shows all the promise of the future with my child taking a last look, past the camera, at the world he'll leave behind.

No comments: