Wednesday, April 18, 2012

College Educated & Happy to Have a Job

My almost 25 year old son came home last night with good news: he's landed a summer job as a barista at a popular coffee cafe in our resort mountain town. This is after months of looking somewhat fruitlessly at similar, less appealing positions. This is what many college educated kids are doing in this recession; not to mention living at home.

My son is an outdoor person.  He graduated with a degree in Environmental Studies.  He spent six years living in Utah, camping, hiking, river rafting/kayaking, snowboarding, skateboarding and taking on every new outdoor adventure come his way.  He's trying to figure out what to do for the rest of his life.

He and his brother are planning a trip to Australia in late Fall.  They're hoping to have enough money to travel, find jobs and stay a while.  I hope they get there and have a huge adventure.  I want them to experience the world, life, new situations, challenges.  My younger son's GF is just back from 2 months in India, BY HERSELF.  It has been life-changing.

While the current economic situation is not something I want to see prolonged, I'm anxious to see the way my sons react and adjust.  It's their first test of really being on their own and having to struggle.  Yes, they've been out of the house before and making their own way.  But it's different now.  They need to be on their own permanently.  They know it.  We know it.


Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Betsy said...

Oh, I love that photo...just makes you smile right along with them!  Good for him finding a job...and an adventurous trip to Australia sounds amazing!

DJan Stewart said...

What a hunk! I will buy my latte from him, happily. I hope he is successful in getting to Australia. What a life adventure! :-)

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

Hahaha! He is very photogenic. He seems to really like the job too (after 3 days). I hope they make that trip. Maybe Baino will meet them for tea!

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

The boys had friends over last Sat night. My husband saw photo ops for his new high speed lens. They were outside on the deck. The light on their faces is an overhead flood on the roof.

brian miller said...

it is cool that they have a place with you to come home to...it is tough times...and i am glad he found something...i def think this next generation will live ina  much different way and progress differently and in that may they learn something...and maybe do a little better job you know....

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

I hope you are right. Robert Reich the former Secy of Laborious under Clinton was on The Daily Show last night. He believes if we don't get the inequitable tax breaks changed, for individuals as well as corporations, thereby increasing taxes for high income earners, oil cos. etc., it won't matter. The Middle Class will cease to exist.

Tanna Stanley said...

Love that photo!!  And, their opportunities for adventure.  ;) 

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

Me too.  She's a childhood friend.  Cute, sweet girl.  I think my husband's lens worked great to capture the light w/o additional camera or flash.  
Hope you are doing well.  Heading to your blog.

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

Thanks Dee Dee.  I think re-setting the damn Disqus thingie yesterday wiped out all previous comments.  You're showing as the only one.  Jeez.

DeeDee said...

Hi! C.G...
What a very interesting post and here's wishing your sons the best in what ever endeavors they decide to undertake in their lives. ["While the current economic situation is not something I want to see prolonged..."]
Neither do I...I hope that it ends soon, but I don't see no light at the end Of the [train] tunnel.
Tks, for sharing!
deedee :-/