Monday, April 6, 2009

Lest We Forget

USAF Staff Sgt. Phillip Myers was killed in a roadside bombing in Afghanistan Saturday. He was 30 years old. He was a recipient of the Bronze Star one year ago. He left behind a widow and it was her decision to allow the media to film the return of his body to the United States. Forty journalists and camera crew were on hand to record the moment when this first U.S. soldier's body was to be carried off the plan in a flag draped casket. Why all the interest at this point in our no longer to be referred to War on Terror? Because it is the first time in twenty years the press has been allowed to film a returning soldier's casket to the US. A controversial ban was recently lifted by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates under President Obama.

And what does this say about our country, our leaders, our defense department? Why did they hide these things from us? Why are we just now being allowed to witness the tragedy of war in all its empty glory?

Subscribe in a reader


R.L. Bourges said...

A special commendation to Sgt Myers' widow, for allowing access to what you so aptly describe as the 'empty glory' of it all.

Susan said...

I was moved to tears by this video. If we had been allowed to see half of what was shown during the Vietnam war, there would be a lot more protests out there. The press has been so suppressed by the Bushies that most people don't feel any connection to what has been going on over there.

California Girl said...

RL: It would take bravery to allow your most personal moment broadcast worldwide.

Susan: Me too. I thought so much about VietNam, the war we endured as teenagers and young adults. This ongoing Middle East debacle is proving to be more scary. Less fatalities on the American side tho' not the other side from what I understand. I don't want to see anyone sent over any more. We are the the police of the world.