Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Nora Ephron's Take

One of my favorite screenwriters of one of my all time favorite, no, definitely my all time favorite romantic movie, "When Harry Met Sally", has died.  

Nora Ephron is being eulogized in every online news medium the news, talk shows and more.  Why?  She seems to have been the Everywoman we want to be...only a wee bit more diverse and talented in each genre.

Her best loved films include "Sleepless in Seattle", "You've Got Mail", "Julie and Julia", "Silkwood", "Heartburn".  She wrote books about her body, her pregnancies, her divorce from Carl Bernstein, family dynamics, friendship.  I read her last book, "I Hate My Neck" after my husband gave it to me one Christmas.  It was an absolute scream.

I genuinely looked forward to her films.  I expected them to be heartwarming, compelling, romantic and always funny.  

I admired her work although I didn't follow her life.  Judging from the accolades pouring onto the internet, she sounds like one of her characters:  witty, warm, thoughtful, sarcastic, passionate and hungry!  The woman was a Feminist and a foodie!  

I like that she smiled in all her photos.  I like the anecdote I heard Willie Geist tell this morning about being seated next to her at a Washington "insider" style dinner recently.  On her other side was a big name Wall Street guy & Willie said she teased the guy all night long saying things like  "Are you really angry at Obama because he was mean to you?"  He said the guy was cringing.

I like hearing she could be the funniest person in the room and get her point across.  This link takes you to "the best of Nora Ephron interviews".  It won't embed for some reason but worth the viewing.  http://on.aol.com/video/remembering-nora-ephron-517405449

Clip below is "best scenes from some of her movies".


For more on Nora Ephron, check out these well-written pieces on ABC News  and Huff-Post.



Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

Helen said...

I had no idea she was so prolific.

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

They call them "Rom-Coms" now.  Kinda minimizes the genre.  

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

I wish I had her humor.  I am funny but probably not write it down funny.  

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

Thanks Pat.  That's so nice of you.  :)

Barbara said...

It's a sad day for women! She was great!

CaliforniaGirl500 said...

She resonated on so many levels. Can't believe we'll never have another Nora Ephron movie.

pat said...

My wife was a big fan of hers. If not for her, I probably wouldn't have seen most of those movies. I'm glad I did...
Great tribute and post...

DJan Stewart said...

Well, it wasn't blocked, and I watched it and cried for all we've lost. Farewell, Nora. There will never be another one like you. :-(

brian miller said...

i love when harry met sally...one of my all time fav movies...i must admit i know little of her but feel the loss even for it...