Thursday, January 15, 2009

Nicknames

I have this habit of nicknaming things, people, pets, kids, husband, etc. Our current younger dog, Dewey, is called: Doodlebugger, Doodle Doo, Diggers, Sideways Dog, Pesky Pup. Zoe, our older dog, used to be called Radial Zoe, when she was sleek and young. Now we call her Fat Dog or Dog-Faced Dog. Sometimes, when calling both dogs at once, the way you call kids, I get so irritated I confuse the pronunciation of both names and yell out "Zooey & Doughy! Get in here!" It's always by accident but, there you go.

Our cat, Maggie, has many nicknames: the Baby, Miggie, Miggles, Magpie, Little Queen, Princess, Shmoopie (yes, from Seinfeld) and who knows what else. When my sons were little they had their own nicknames: the Peanut, Da, Fletchmonster, Pootie Head 1 & 2, Bry-Bry and my favorite, Little Angel(s).

I recently addressed a birthday card to my husband with a number of old nicknames on it: Mr. Irresistible, NuNu, Honey Bunny, the Grim Reaper, Scotty-Wotty Doo doo, Scotty-too-hotty. The last is a favorite nickname my girlfriend and her sisters call him. He doesn't mind it at all.

My nickname in high school was Peachy. I've never known the exact origin although there's speculation it may have referred to my breasts. The fellow who coined it was a regular date, always trying to cop a feel without success. I really think he just thought I was "peachy" and he tossed it out there. It is still my nickname to one remaining old friend. The others have died or disappeared from my life making this nickname very dear to me indeed.

As Shakespeare wrote, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

I bestow nicknames with affection and love. They are a reflection of how I'm feeling, what I see or both. I suppose "Fat Dog" isn't the nicest of nicknames but she's a good old dog and we treat her well, albeit by overfeeding somewhat.

I hope I'm called Peachy til the day I die.

No comments: