Monday, September 27, 2010

DWTS

I love "Dancing With the Stars".  I like it because I am always interested in the progress of each contestant.  It's an amazingly hard process and I identify with it even if I'm not the one dancing.  This season, I am already rooting for Jennifer Grey.  Why?  She captivated me in "Dirty Dancing" and she has great genes thanks to dad, Joel Grey.  Who can forget Patrick Swayze's `admonishment to Jerry Orbach, her father: 

"Nobody puts Baby in the corner!"

Rick Fox went first and, damn, if he wasn't good doing the quick step.  The guy is huge.  He has my favorite dancer, Cheryl, as his partner, and he pulled it off.  Following Rick was Florence Henderson, Ma Brady herself.  The judges were falling all over her and pandering to her.  bleech.  She just wasn't that good.

Plus, anybody see this?  As Lurch would say, "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........."



 No.  I did not embed the video.  TMI.

Anyway, DWTS is a rigged show.  No doubt in my mind.  I should not watch it but I am hooked and I do and I bemoan the silly voting allowed by the stupid tv audience who are all about favoritism over talent.  While I approached this season thinking Jennifer Grey might be the best, I have now watched two shows and am convinced.  Plus, she has Derek, the best choreographer...

With DWTS, however, one never knows who might emerge as a superb dancer.  Sometimes, I am genuinely surprised. 

Now, the worst part of the show...Sarah Palin.  Jesus Christ, WTF.  I get it.  Bristol's on the show but, do we have to showcase Mama Grizzly?  I mean, really!  Barf barf barf.  I don't know what Bristol is like but I sure as shit feel sorry for her.  She is so totally at the mercy of her mother and the RNC, Tea Partiers, etc.  As Bob Dylan would sing,  "...only a pawn in their game."

Okay, enough of my ranting.    Tomorrow night:  another elimination.

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i have never watched it...though i do remember the scene from dirty dancing...it was filmed right up the road...

i am now off to use a toothbrush on my eyes after ma brady...

North County Film Club said...

I don't usually watch this but I did happen to catch Bristol. I was appalled!!! I thought her mother was bad (not as a dancer!) but Bristol...please!!!! Barf, barf, barf!!! But, of course, consider the source.

DJan said...

I only watched it once because it's so popular with some of my friends and I wanted to see what it's about. That was enough. It certainly does seem to hook some people. Not me, though.

Captain Dumbass said...

Thank you for not embedding that video.

California Girl said...

Brian, DJan, Capt: hahahahaha! how badly does she want attention?

Barbara: everything Sarah does is self-aggrandizing.

Kate Hanley said...

I haven't watched the show but I feel like I do because it is quite popular. Even the NYTimes keeps us updated on who is eliminated and of course the Sarah Palin visit (I agree, enough already!).

Mike said...

Yes...yes...I will admit....I watch! LOL

The Silver Fox said...

I have to admit, I watched some of the first and second season episodes. Nowadays, I don't watch TV at all.

I'm still embarrassed that I only learned that Jennifer Grey was Joel's daughter about a year ago!

I'm not surprised Florence Henderson "just wasn't that good." Isn't she, like, 100 by now? She's even older than I am.

And... Sarah Palin? Oy.

Ohhhh, yeah. So glad I don't watch TV any more.